Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Once you shut yourself inside a wardrobe, you can imagine anything."

Back in 1998 the good citizens of Belfast, Northern Ireland commemorated C.S. Lewis's 100th birthday by unveiling a life-sized bronze statue titled The Searcher that depicts Digory Kirke, C.S. Lewis's alter ego, entering Narnia through the magic wardrobe.

C.S. Lewis was born in Belfast and many believe that the world of Narnia was inspired by his childhood in Ireland. He spent majority of his adult life in Oxford, writing and teaching at the Magdalen College. In addition to his scholarly work, Lewis wrote a number of popular novels, including his science fiction The Space Trilogy and his fantasy series the Chronicles of Narnia. The Chronicles is Lewis's most popular work, it has sold over 100 million copies in 41 languages and has been adapted for TV, radio, stage and most recently, and most famously, a series of movies.
In 2008, The Times ranked him eleventh on their list of "the 50 greatest British writers since 1945".

3 comments:

  1. Hi Olga, the statue is amazing, I'd love to see it for myself some time. (I would prefer to think that stepping out of the wardrobe to live the imagination would be excellent ~ =) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing statue.
    Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of the Narnia books. For me it's a case of good idea, poor execution :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the books yet although a very fancy box set has been waiting for my attention for a while now but when I stumbled upon a picture of this statue online I immediately wanted to share it here. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete